Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes - December 6, 2022

Date/Time/Location: Tuesday December 6, 2022 / 12:00 PM / Zoom Webinar & President’s Conference Room

Members Present: Kim Acquaviva, Alan Beckenstein, Aaron Bloomfield, Aniko Bodroghkozy, Tish Jennings (Chair), Jim Fitz-Gerald, Michael Kennedy (Chair Elect), Susan Kirk (Past Chair), James Lambert, Carol Manning, Peter Norton, Eric Ramirez-Weaver, Jim Savage, Jeri Seidman, Sarah Stewart Ware

Guests/Others Present: Ian Baucom (Provost), Brie Gertler (Vice Provost Academic Affairs), Nicole Thorne Jenkins (Dean, McIntire), Jim Ryan (President), Brian Wright (Director of Undergraduate Programs, Data Science)

Meeting Called to Order: 12:02pm

Updates from the President & Provost
President Jim Ryan offered thanks to faculty for their continued support of students and colleagues during the last several weeks. He shared updates on the ongoing efforts in response to the shooting. He explained that these updates will also be shared at the Board of Visitors meeting this week.

Provost Ian Baucom echoed his thanks for the support faculty have given to students and to one another. He shared some topics that will be discussed at the BOV meeting along with updates on recent leadership meetings and ongoing initiatives.

Approval of Minutes
Tish Jennings shared minutes from the November 2022 EXCO Meeting to review.
Motion to approve minutes by unanimous consent.

Reports from Committees
Nominating Committee - Susan Kirk, Chair
Susan Kirk shared that the committee has identified nominees for Virginia Faculty Senate, EXCO, Chair-Elect. The group will need additional nominees for the BOV representative slate (reminder that this person does not have to be a Faculty Senator).

BOV - Susan Kirk, Faculty Representative
Susan Kirk will share her report from the BOV meeting after it takes place this week.

AAC - Aaron Bloomfield, Chair
Aaron Bloomfield shared that the AAC passed unanimously the Bachelor of Science in Data Science degree. A motion is required to add this to the next Faculty Senate agenda. He will plan to discuss in greater detail the potential financial impact if/when presented to Full Senate.

Motion to add to agenda: Aaron Bloomfield
For: 16

Old Business

  • Tish Jennings shared that there was 90% participation of senators in the online vote.

  • Aniko Bodroghkozy suggested bringing the issue of the statute detailing faculty representatives to BOVs to the Virginia Faculty Senate.

  • The group discussed how to manage discussion and voting on potentially contentious issues going forward to ensure a more positive experience for senators.

New Business

  • Setting the agenda for the next Faculty Senate meeting

  • Discussion of how Faculty Senate can support colleagues, staff, and students on recovery efforts.

    • Brie Gertler shared information on the Recovery Working Group, led by Steve Mull

      • The group welcomes any input on how best to support faculty/staff/students

  • Scheduling Faculty Senate meetings for Spring 2022 and going forward

Meeting Adjourned
Meeting adjourned: 1:55 PM