Faculty Senate Meeting Minutes, EXCO - January 10, 2023

Date/Time/Location: Tuesday, January 10 / 12:00pm / Zoom Webinar & President’s Conference Room

Members Present: Kim Acquaviva, Alan Beckenstein, Aaron Bloomfield, Jim Fitz-Gerald, Tish Jennings (Chair), Michael Kennedy (Chair Elect), Susan Kirk (Past Chair), Jim Lambert, Peter Norton, Eric Ramirez-Weaver, Jim Savage, Jeri Seidman, Sarah Stewart Ware

Guests/Others Present: Maïté Brandt-Pearce (Vice Provost Faculty Affairs), Brie Gertler (Vice Provost Academic Affairs), Michael Palmer (Director, CTE), JJ Wagner-Davis (EVP-COO)

Meeting Called to Order: 12:01 PM

Approval of Minutes
Tish Jennings shared minutes from the December 2022 EXCO Meeting to review.
Motion to approve minutes by unanimous consent.

Adjustment to Agenda
Tish Jennings requested unanimous consent to modify the agenda to allow for Michael Palmer to present early.

Generative AI and Impact on Teaching
Michael Palmer, Director Center for Teaching Excellence
Michael Palmer discussed the current and projected impact of generative AI tools in teaching and higher ed.

Zoom Event: January 17, 2023 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (will be recorded)
Navigating the Brave New World of Generative AI in Higher Education

Nominating Committee
Susan Kirk, Chair

Susan Kirk shared that there has been a robust response to calls for nominations for BOV reps. Written statements are due on January 18th. Candidates will present their statements at the January 25th Faculty Senate meeting. Voting will occur online after that meeting.

Susan Kirk: Motion that written statements are limited to 250 words and oral statements are 3 minutes or less.
Second: Jim Fitz-Gerald

Next set of elections will include ExCo, Senate Chair Elect, and some advisory positions to various organizations.

Steps to Recovery/Faculty Senate Community Building

Jeri Seidman and Tish Jennings

Jeri Seidman (Colonnade Club President) shared that the Club would be interested in supporting FS by donating space. Tish and Jeri have discussed finding time for the Senate to get together socially, planned and managed by ExCo.
Jeri will explore availability for a Thursday in February.

Some concern over timing of annual reports has been expressed. It was noted that these deadlines are set by each school.

New Business
Shift from Collab to Canvas
Brie Gertler shared that the shift to Canvas is generally by school (except for A&S), 40% in Spring and remaining 60% by Fall. She also explained that Collab will be active through 2025, but it will no longer be used for courses (connected to SIS). The team is working to identify options for non-course Collab sites (long-term project).

Brie will look into inviting someone from the LMS team to speak at a full Faculty Senate meeting with updates about the Canvas transition.

Additional information can be found at UVA Canvas

DEI Chairs Project

Tish Jennings shared that President Ryan’s office will fund a series of dinners to facilitate conversations around defining DEI. Faculty Senate/ExCo (or a committee) may choose to host one of these dinners.

Tish will share information with Eric Ramirez-Weaver (DEI Committee Chair).

President & Provost FS Meeting Attendance

Tish Jennings shared that the President and Provost will continue to attend ExCo and Faculty Senate as they are available and as issues arise.

Tish, Michael, and Susan will work to schedule meetings with the Provost to explore topics for future discussion.

Next Full FS Meeting Agenda Wednesday, January 25, 8-10 AM, Holloway Hall (Bavaro)

  • FS BOV candidate statements

    • Brief statement from Sarah Stewart Ware on how voting will work

  • Karen Dabney from UVA Acts

  • Catherine Bradshaw & Jeffrey Blume re: Research Infrastructure

  • President Ryan

  • Brief overview and non-course use of Collab

  • Motion re: time/word limits for BOV statements

Meeting Adjourned
Motion to Adjourn: Kim Acquaviva
Second: Michael Kennedy

Meeting adjourned: 1:45pm