Whereas: The Faculty Senate adoption of the “Revised Resolution on Open Access and Scholarship” in 2010 called for a “Task Force on Scholarly Publications and Authors’ Rights; and
Whereas: Open access, access to scholarly publications and author’s rights continue to be at the forefront of both intramural and extramural deliberations; and
Whereas: The implications for both dissemination and access to scholarly works are critically important for the academic life of our faculty.
Be it Resolved: The University of Virginia Faculty Senate reconstitutes the “Senate Task Force on Scholarly Publications and Author’s Rights” as an ad hoc committee as provided by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Senate. The following constraints shall be observed as part of this observation:
- Nominations for participation on the ad hoc committee shall be solicited during the 5 business days immediately following Nov. 22nd 2019 Faculty Senate adoption of this resolution. Nominations may include non-senators from the Faculty at large.
- EXCO shall appoint no less than 5 and no more than 7 members for this committee.
- Other participants:
- The Chair of the Faculty Senate “Research, Teaching and Scholarship” committee shall serve as a voting member.
- John Unsworth, Brandon Butler and Maite Brandt-Pearce or their designated proxies shall serve ex officio.
- The committee is specifically charged with formulating and presenting a resolution regarding an Open Access policy to EXCO no later than April 1, 2020.5)The role of the committee will terminate on May 30th2020 unless renewed by a new motion at the pleasure of EXCO